Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Disappointed for allowing cycling on the footpath (original)

I am very disappointed by the decision to allow cycling on the footpath. Yes, the “small group of them in Tampines” may not have to worry about if it is legal to cycle on the footpath, but the “majority of us all over the country” will now have to worry about our safety.

Already with the law in place, we are seeing the cyclist either zooming recklessly or ringing the bell impatiently behind us on the footpath. When they are allowed on it, I am sure this is going to run out of control. Once a lady’s bike bang on my elbow when I was walking my kids to school in the morning. There was once I have to shout to a man when I saw him scolding a young student walking alone in-front for not giving way to his bike, and there are a few occasions I have to scold some kids and ask them to get down and push their bikes when they keeps ranging their bells and approaching in fast speed behind me and my kids on the footpath.

From the figure shown to us, I wonder how many cases of the accidents and injuries are actually due to the irresponsible riding behavior of the bikers, but when the footpath opened to them, we may see two possible scenarios happen:

There will be increase of number in cyclists involving accidents causing pedestrians’ injuries.
There will be increasing of number in quarrels and punching between cyclists and pedestrians. We all know by fact now that police would not take any action if there is no serious injury in the case.

Tampines may deploy cycling wardens to encourage safe cycling and reward gracious behavior but how long will that last? At the same time, pedestrians staying in other towns will start to feel the heat as the cyclists here may get a wrong signal and start to make the situation deteriorated.

Cyclists feel the heat when they are on the road, but implementing a change without considering the whole picture is just passing the bugs from one place to another. This is as good as to keeps your house clean, you throw the rubbish onto an open area.

No comments: